Housing for all 2022 PM Scheme: In this scheme Govt provided 6 Lakh Housing – 2 Lakh Urban areas & 4 lakh in rural areas. Urban Housing Shortage As per Estimates by Technical Group Housing Shortage is 18.78 million in 2012.
The Factors of Shortage are – Congestion (14.99 million) – Obsolescent (2.27 million) – Katcha Houses (0.99 million) – Homeless Households (0.53 million) More than 95% shortage is for EWS/LIG houses EWS (10.55 million ) – LIG (7.44 million ) – MIG and above (0.82 million)
Housing Shortage going up because of Increased Urbanization and Migration
Other Indicator of Housing Shortage is Slum Population • As per Census 2011, Slum Households are 13.75 million, up from 10.2 million in 2001 • Growth in 10 years of Slum Households is 36.5% and of Slum Population is 25.1%, whereas of Urban Households is 44.9% and Urban Population is 32% • Slums are Categorised into – Notified (4.97 million households) – Recognised (3.79 million households) – Identified (4.99 million households) Distribution of Slums – Ten States accounts for 82% of slum population – 38.4% of Slum Population in 46 million plus Cities
Housing Shortage Distribution – Top 10 States
75% of the estimated housing shortage is concentrated in 10 States
- Gujarat, 0.99, 5%
- Karnataka, 1.02, 6%
- Madhya Pradesh, 1.1, 6%
- Rajasthan, 1.15, 6%
- Andhra Pradesh, 1.27, 7%
- Tamil Nadu, 1.25, 7%
- West Bengal, 1.33, 7%
- Maharashtra, 1.94, 10%
- Uttar Pradesh, 3.07, 16%
For More Information – Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana 2019
Strategy for Other Urban Poor – Affordable Housing with Private Partners
- Sizeable Need from Urban Poor not living in slums
- Future Migrants also Important Target Group
- Such Households to be catered by Affordable Housing by Private Sector and State Boards.
- Creation of Demand by Interest Subvention
- Efforts Required to Augment Supply of Houses otherwise Prices will go up
- Enhancing Supply of Urban Land
- Extra FSI/TDR for Affordable Housing
- Relaxation of Density Norms
- Deemed NA Permission if land falls in Residential zone in Master Plan
- Single Window Clearance for Building Permissions
- Deemed layout and building permission for pre-approved designs
- Improvement in Construction Technologies
- Project Finance to Private Developers
Strategy – Rental Housing
- Rental units/Dormitories through ULBs or Private Partner
- If through ULBs or State Board, GoI one time support
- ULBs/State can engage Private Developers to Provide and Maintain rental units for 15-20 years
- ULB/State to pay Pre-decided Rent for Fixed Occupancy to Private Developer
- ULB/State to Select Beneficiaries to live in these units and Collect Subsidized Rent from them
- ULB/State to Provide Land or Extra FSI/TDR for such unit • Private Developer to be Selected through Transparent Bidding Process.
Strategy for Homeless and Destitute
Government Sponsored Rental Housing for Homeless and Destitute Provision of Night Shelter NGOs/Private Sector to help ULB in running those Homes/Shelters Convergence of other Govt Services in such units GoI may support with 60-75% Contribution
Resources for Mission Housing for All by 2022
- Government Support Required for – to bridge the gap in Slum Redevelopment in PPP mode – Interest Subvention for Affordable Housing – Rental Housing and Housing for Destitute & Homeless
- Difficult to Estimate the Required Resources at Present
- Depend on outcome of Bidding of PPP Projects and need of Interest Subvention
- Additional three crore houses at a average Cost of Rs. 7.5 lakh per house require Investment of Rs. 22.5 lakh crore.
- Largely to be met by private entrepreneurs through Banks, Financial Institutions
- At a rate of 20% , Central and State Governments expected to collect Rs. 4-5 lakh crores as Tax
- Large Percentage of 13 million Slum Households to be Provided houses through Redevelopment of Slum Land
- Slum Redevelopment in PPP mode will involve other Construction for Cross Subsidization
- If Profit for Private Developer is 20%, then Additional Construction of almost 10 times of Value of Slum Houses.
- More additional taxes to Central and State Governments to help fund Mission.
- Escrow Account for Additional Tax is one of the suggested Mechanism
- Alternatively seeing Constitutional and Administrative Complexity involved in escrowing it, Resources through Budgetary Support.
Mission Housing for all by 2022 Structure:
A Strong Mission required at Central, State Government and Big Cities – Housing for all by 2022 Scheme
Mission to have four distinct components/wings – Slum Redevelopment – Affordable Housing through Interest Subvention – Rental Housing for Migrants – Housing for Urban Destitute and Homeless
- Slum Redevelopment will require Experts on PPP and Finance
- Integrated Finance Division be part of Mission
- Existing Mission in Ministry to be strengthened
- Project approvals at State Level for Slum Redevelopment, Rental Housing etc. to be considered Mission Way Forward States to sign MOU agreeing for Mandatory Conditions like
- Development of slums through PPP mode
- Granting Additional FSI/TDR for slums and Affordable Housing Projects
- Single Window Clearance for Building and Lay Out Permission
- Pre-approved Lay Out and Building Design for EWS/LIG Housing
- Deemed NA Approval for Residential Zone in Master Plan
- Different Planning Norms for Unauthorised colonies
- Rationalising Rent Control Act
- De-notification of Slums after improvement or redevelopment
- Mission will start working with States signing MOU
- Convergence with RD, UD & Power at ULB Level
- Quick survey to ascertain quantum of shortage in the States
Formation of the State-Wise and City-Wise Action Plan with various components of Strategies
- Assessment of the required resources by adopting various mix of solution
- Allocating Budget resources available to States
- Projects as per City Action Plan with available resources.
Submit your review
Home loan required, how can i apply. Kindly let me know.
Sir I may not able to enroll online.pmay iam enrolling Aadhar number but accepting.hyderbad is not in the list.
PMAY loan Lena chahata hu
11 lakh of loan required, is it comes under pradhan mantri yojana.
Quite An informative article.